The Rock Ministry Prayer Letter – Sophie
Sophie is a campus director for The Rock ministry at Candlewood Church in Omaha, NE. She has the honor of helping lead the college ministry that played such a huge role in her own faith-journey. See below for a few ministry updates and some prayer requests from Sophie.
Hot Cocoa and Coffee Outreach on Campus
Our team braved the cold weather to meet students on campus for two mornings at the UNO South Campus shuttle stop! As a group, we handed out 275 cups of cocoa/coffee and, more importantly, 362 gospel tracts with invites to our Wednesday Rock service. We plan to do more outreach events on campus to provide opportunities to connect with students!
The Rock Internship Program Kick-Off
Our team has been working hard to kick-off our internship program this semester! Candlewood Church in Omaha has partnered with three of our undergraduate Rock members to serve as part-time missionaries while they are taking classes. We are so excited to have them on board. God is definitely answering our prayers for more workers on campus!
Matthew 9:37-38 – “Then Jesus said to his disciples, ‘The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.'”
New Staff Member: Kim Yau
Kim Yau is now part of the Candlewood Church staff team working part-time with The Rock! She began attending The Rock over 4 years ago, and served as a Small Group leader during her undergraduate career. She began pursuing her graduate degree in teaching this semester. See below for an excerpt from Kim’s testimony.
“Growing up in a small country called Malaysia, I attended a Mandarin-speaking church. Since English is my first language, it was hard for me to understand what was going on. I was afraid of going to hell and decided to follow Jesus because my mom had told me that He was the only way that could get me out of that situation. On the outside I put on the façade of a perfect Christian, but on the inside I was afraid, insecure and frustrated at how it seemed like I would never match up to the standard God had.
In 2014, I came to America to further my studies at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. There, I went to a Christian group, the Rock, and met people who genuinely loved Jesus. This was something that surprised me because they had a love for Jesus that I did not have. That December at a conference called Faithwalkers, the Gospel finally clicked. I realized that religion and an ‘earn-my-way-to-heaven’ mindset was not enough. Jesus was. He loved me enough to take my place at the cross while I stood in his place of forgiveness. Now, I follow Christ for an entirely different reason. I follow Christ because, to me, Jesus is the picture of love. He accepts me for who I am and does not condemn me for what I’ve done, but instead calls me redeemed and justified. Hell is no longer something that scares me, and I am free from the shackles of religion I once put on myself.” -Kim Yau
Prayer is so important to us and our ministry! We would appreciate prayer for the following:
- Two of our Small Group leaders, Maddie and Morgan, are headed on a Mission Trip to Asia this March – please be praying for their trip
- Our Spring Break Mission Trip to Colombia, Missouri is right around the corner
- Safe travels for our team
- Planning would go smoothly
- Our time would be well-spent and beneficial to both our students and the church in Colombia
- Encouragement, wisdom and guidance for our growing staff team (especially our new interns)
- Growth in our students’ passion for reaching others with the gospel
- Students getting more involved and cultivating a deeper relationship with Jesus
- Faithful students who are willing and ready to lead our Small Groups
- God to continue to provide monthly prayer and financial ministry partners to allow Matt, Jim and I to be on campus reaching students with the gospel