Approachable Theology is a new program at Candlewood Church launching Fall 2021 and going through Spring 2022. As devoted followers of Christ, we strive to know Him better and have confidence in Biblical truth.
Following is a listing of the session topics that will be covered over the course of the program.
|Session||Date||Topic||Reading||Watch Session||View Slides|
|1||Sep 2, 2021||Overview program, Introduction||Erickson chapters 1,3-4||Watch||View Slides|
|2||Sep 16, 2021|
God’s Word, Special topic:
|Principles of Interpretation||Watch||View Slides|
|3||Oct 7, 2021||God’s Word||Erickson chapter 5-7||Watch||View Slides|
|4||Oct 21, 2021||God’s Greatness||Erickson chapter 9||Watch||View Slides|
|*||Nov 4, 2021||** No session **||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|5||Nov 18, 2021||God’s Goodness, Nearness and Distance||Erickson chapters 8 & 10||Watch||View Slides|
|6||Dec 2, 2021||Humanity||Erickson chapters 17-19||Watch||View Slides|
|7||Dec 16, 2021|
God’s Acts, Special topic:
Creation vs. Evolution
|Erickson chapter 13||Watch||View Slides|
|*||Jan 6, 2022||** No session **|
|8||Jan 20, 2022||Human Sexuality|
|9||Feb 3, 2022||Sin||Erickson chapters 20-22||Watch||View Slides|
|10||Feb 17, 2022||The Person of Christ||Erickson chapters 23-25||Watch||View Slides|
|11||Mar 3, 2022||The Work of Christ||Erickson chapters 26-27||Watch||View Slides|
|12||Mar 17, 2022||The Holy Spirit||Erickson chapters 28-30, 11||Watch||View Slides|
|13||Apr 7, 2022||Salvation||Erickson chapters 31-35||Watch||View Slides|
|14||Apr 21, 2022||The Church||Erickson chapters 36-38||Watch||View Slides|
|15||May 5, 2022||The Family||Watch||View Slides|
|16||May 19, 2022||Last Things||Erickson chapters 39-42||View Slides|
"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope."
- Romans 15:4
What is Approachable Theology? A program to help the Candlewood family better understand and live in light of the truths God has revealed in Scripture.
How will this be done? Twice monthly meetings with a Candlewood Church Omaha pastor teaching on a Christian doctrine followed by a time of discussion and prayer.
Why would we do this?
- To know God better - To truly know God and rightly relate to Him and the world around us, we must rightly understand who He is, what He has done, and what He has said. Our fellowship with God deepens as we more accurately know and therefore worship and love Him.
- To invest more time - To know God better takes time and there are more important truths than what can be communicated in 30 minutes on a Sunday.
- To seek truth together - We live in a tidal wave of erroneous ideas about God, ourselves, and our world, so we must actively seek truth. The pastors of Candlewood wanted to provide a way where we could engage in that together.
What resources will be used?
- Our foundational text is the Bible.
- To aid in better understanding the Bible and to be able to more readily reference the various biblical passages related to a topic and their interpretation, we will use Millard Erickson’s Introducing Christian Doctrine (3rd Edition) as reference throughout.
Approachable Theology Details
We will meet twice monthly at Candlewood Church, from Fall 2021 through Spring 2022, on the first and third Thursday of the month. Meetings will take place from 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM, with approximately 1 hour of instruction, and 30 minutes of discussion and prayer.
Some may choose to participate in this program in addition to their current Small Group while others may choose to participate in this program instead of a Small Group.
Participating families will be asked to rotate serving in the nursery in order to be able to provide child care throughout the program.
Sessions will be recorded and available on the Candlewood Church YouTube Channel, but not live streamed.